Record players are one of the most innovative and groundbreaking inventions in the history of entertainment. Turntables have been filling our homes with music for centuries now. There was a time when we were obsessed with these vintage turntables when digital media was not available. Thanks to the advent of technology, record players have evolved.
Even today, many people use these record players to impart their homes a retro or antique look. Pre-owned vintage turntables have seen a rising demand over the past few years. If you are looking for an antique, then the Thorens Turntable record player is the right choice! This record player gives your humble abode an aesthetic touch. Follow this Thorens Turntable Record Player review guide to learn more about the product and its features in detail.
- 1 A Brief History About Thorens Turntable
- 2 Features, Benefits, and Drawbacks
- 3 Unique Features of the Thorens Record Player
- 4 How the Performance of the Thorens Turntable TD 201 Excels
- 5 Specifications
- 6 Pros
- 7 Cons
- 8 Endnote
A Brief History About Thorens Turntable
Vintage music lovers need no introduction to Thorens. It is a world-renowned Swiss company known for its excellence in manufacturing high-quality audio equipment. The story of Thoren turntables is rather interesting too.
During the 60s and 70s, Thorens was known as the chief manufacturer of all types of turntables. Audio equipment had found a new face of an era in Thorens. Even today, people in the field of vintage turntable restoration regard these legendary turntables pretty highly. It would not be wrong to say that Thorens has been a crucial part of world music history.
In 1957, it created a new affordable turntable called TD 124. Later Thorens built on that principle to form a series of turntables such as TD-125, TD-150, TD-160, and others, and it was the beginning of Thoren turntables. It later became one of the most successful turntable manufacturers, with innovative and appealing turntable designs with precise sound quality.
In 2018, the TD 201 and 202 models entered the market with pre-configured cartridges and a built-in switchable phono stage for direct connection to an amplifier or receiver.
Features, Benefits, and Drawbacks
Thorens TD 201 is one of the right choices for customers looking for easy-to-use plugs and play turntables. If you are a Vinyl lover, you are going to love this piece.
Thorens TD 201 is fully manual in operation and has a heavy 12″ die-cast aluminum platter that reduces resonance and noise. There is also a smooth-running belt drive and an aluminum platter with a rubber Matt. This piece has a detachable headshell with 3600 cartridges. It uses a switchable integrated phono stage that can easily connect to the amplifier.
The precise sound by Thorens TD 201 is quite appealing and has a bass response as well. You can also create digital copies of your favorite album by connecting it with the help of a USB data cable.
The box with the Thorens TD 201 contains a quality turntable, tonearm (pre-installed), cartridge, platter mat, AC power adapter, 3 AC plugs (US/UK/EU), 6′ USB-B to USB-A cable, 40″ Stereo RCA cable (w/ ground lead), 45 RPM adapter, counterweight, dust cover, two hinges, user guide.
The following paragraph will discuss some key features that make this particular model unique and different from other market products.
Unique Features of the Thorens Record Player
Thorens Turntables are a prime example of quality and superior experience. Thorens TD 201 has a wide variety of unique features which help you to stand out from the crowd. It has an 8.8″ straight aluminum tonearm and a 12″ diameter die-cast aluminum platter. Some of the other features are:
Plug and play design
Thorens TD 201 comes with its own EU plug, making it relatively easy for people to plug and play their favorite music. It comes with a switch that enables speed adjustments and also helps in detaching the headshell for changing cartridges.
Aluminum platter with Rubber mat
Thorens TD 201 comes with an aluminum platter with a rubber mat. This rubber keeps you protected against dampening vibration. This goes on to enhance the vintage sound quality of the player. Being an adhesive rubber, it reduces the chances of slippage. It is low maintenance and durable product.
The grounding terminal helps to block the clamp and tighten the center mounting screw. It helps distribute ground potential to all other ground terminals, which minimizes the amount of corrosion on copper wire.
Dust cover Installation
Thorens TD 201 comes with a dust cover installation feature that helps you unwrap the two hinges. It is important to keep your valuables in a presentable and working condition, especially when they represent a part of history.
The dust cover helps keep your turntable safe and protected from exposure, air, dust, grime, dirt, or any other particles. For people with kids or pets, this dust cover is a boon. It also keeps it safe from accidental spillages.
To install this dust cover, you have to carefully push the clamp on the two spots shown in the dust cover. Now, snap the two clamps into the area as indicated at the back of your turntable. As easy as that!
Mount and adjust feature
You would want to adjust the player according to your convenience for extracting the best experience out of it. Well, the Theoren TD 201 enables you to do just that. Here is how you can set up your player.
- To change the mount, all you have to do is place the aluminum turntable over the spindle center.
- Now place your fingers to access the whole and grab the building stretched over the motor pulley.
- Then, spin the platter a few times until the belt turns smooth. Now insert the headshell into the tonearm and fix it accordingly.
- The next step is to insert the counterweight on the end to maintain a balance. Keep rotating the anti-skating knobs in a counterclockwise direction until it is set to 0 before placing the lever for the tonearm lift in the front position.
Easy to install and remove the cartridge
Thorens has an easy-to-install cartridge system. This means that you do not have to struggle to play some music with precise sound quality, and anyone even with little experience of turntables can help themselves to smooth sounds.
To remove the cartridge, all you have to do is put the rest clip on the pickup arm, remove the stylus to avoid any damage, and then remove the two screws, fixing the cartridges.
Now to install the new cartage connect these four-link wires. Keep in mind the receptacle colors and install the cartage in the headshell. Now insert the cartridge by fixing the screws. Reinstall the stylus and replace the protective cap.
Apart from these standout features Thorens TD 201 has some supportive features that make your life easy.
- RCA Jacks selector- With the RCA jack selector’s help, you can plug the RCA cable and connect it with an audio sound amplifier.
- Pre Amp On/Off selector- There is an on/off selector button that allows you to switch on and connect the RCA cable to the LINE-IN terminal of the amplifier.
- Power supply jack – A power supply jack is used to connect the cable for the power supply. It is one of the essential elements of your turntable record player. It comes with the pack. There is a power switch to turn the button on/off.
The spotlessly shiny aluminum plate with a rubber mat, which has a rubber ring on the inside for cushioning, dates back to a bygone time. The tinkling of their leaves, which stopped after a slight blow, will be remembered by old Thorens music fans. However, to the relief of many, this feature was not transmitted to TD201.
A straight tonearm with a removable headshell and anti-skating adjustment through a spring mechanism was used in this model.
Thorens has pre-adjusted Audio-AT-95E Technician’s MM pickup precisely, as experience has shown that consumers in this class do not (yet) want to think about a suitable pickup. After all, it has, without exaggeration, proven its worth a million times. After zeroing the scale, balancing the tonearm with a counterweight, and adjusting the necessary 18 millinewton follow-up force is child’s play. And so you’re off.
Since the TD201 has a built-in MM phono preamplifier, there is no need for a phono input to the amplifier. To turn it on, turn the small switch labeled “Pre Amp” in the link terminal to “On.” The new Thorens can then be paired in the same way as a CD player.
Since many modern amplifiers, especially those of the A/V field, have no phono branch, this is a handy function. The TD201 plays on it with no additional steps. If a phono input is available, deciding which way the sound is of higher quality is easy.
The Phono-Pre on the TD201 is pleasant as it is homogenous in color, clearly distinguished, and vividly displayed. However, only when the power supply is inserted in the correct phase is the sound of the TD201 optimized and homogenous. The built-in preamplifier has impressed one and all with its tonal coherence.
Anyone who wants to digitally feed their records to a device via the integrated USB interface in a data format that corresponds to the CD standard of 16 bit/44.1 kilohertz would need the services of the built-in phono preamp. Thus, the record is not all about the music of the past era. You can feed on your favorite music, no matter the time it traces back to, thanks to the USB compatibility.
- Brand: Thorens
- Drive System: Belt Drive
- 8.8″ straight aluminum tonearm
- Speed: 33 1/3 RPM, 45 RPM
- Rotation Speed Variation: +/-2%
- Signal to noise ratio: 67dB or higher
- Type: Static balance
- Effective arm length: 8.8.’’
- Stylus pressure range: 0-4g
- Overhang: 18.6mm
- Supported cartridge weight: 6g
- Anti-skating adjustment: supported
- Drive system: Belt drive
- Motor: DC Motor
- Speed: 45RPM
- Rotation speed variation: =/-2%
- Platter: Aluminium Die-cast
- The diameter of the platter: 12’’
- Type: MM type
- Stylus: Bonded Diamond
- Frequency Response: 20HZ to 20 kHz
- Vertical tracking angle: 20 degrees
- Output voltage: 2.5mV
- Cartridge weight: 5g+
- Headshell weight: 10g
- It is a great package filled with modern features offered at an affordable price.
- Being an antique, it lives up to its reputation as it is aesthetically pleasing.
- If you are under the impression that the sound quality might not match the modern music marvels, you might be mistaken. The player boasts of excellent sound quality.
- Despite multiple features, the record player is easy to use and play.
- You can easily pair it up with other external devices like amplifiers and speakers.
- It includes a smooth-running belt drive.
- The player is easy to set up and doesn’t require the hands of an experienced person.
- It comes with a warranty. So, you can be assured of the quality, and if anything goes wrong with it (in rare cases), you can get it replaced.
- The device sound might not be loud enough for some people and might require a complete audio set.
- Cartridges are an area where the company can improve as contemporary brands are offering better quality.
If you are looking for a super stylish record player to add more sparks to your home interior, Thorens is one of the turntable brands you can rely on. Apart from being relatively easy to use, it also fits your budget. If you are looking for gift ideas for someone who loves music, such as your parents or grandparents, this might be your go-to option.
This vintage record player blends well with modern interior designs. Thus, apart from being a great music player with incredible sound, it adds to the grandeur of your home. With its great modern features, it is bound to leave you spellbound.
Now that you are well versed with the product, you might be curious to add it to your collection. Grab your Theoren TD 201 now!